About Me

My photo
A working professional and Mom,a want-to-be full time writer and modern day Alice in Wonderland who's always "A Little Mad Here"...

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Sentimental Spring and Electronic Ink

I have watched the blog assignments and prompts go by the last few days...and just been unable to move myself off center. Recently something I wrote upset someone deeply and even though it was written from a perspective that was authentic and true, it still bothered me that something I wrote caused emotional distress. This isn't the first time and I'm certain it won't be the last but it gave me pause and stalled my creative discipline while I considered the fallout from writing in such an unscripted and raw way, as is the nature and very design of blogging. I think when I write this way it's for myself and not for a submission, not for a publisher's consumption and it becomes like a form of therapy. I don't think about people actually reading it or being interested in reading it. I guess I feel like its a kind of literary ambient noise, its just out there in the background. The truth is...words have power. I should remember that, not for the purposes of self-censorship because that would make me unauthentic as a writer, but to understand that my writing something, putting something out there gives it life in some form and that reality comes with responsibilities to address any issues or emotions it may evoke. It may start with electronic ink but it may need to continue with something more. And now for the prompts...


Blog City ~ Every Blogger's Paradise
Day 733 March 10, 2016
Prompt: Write about the word sentimental.


I think overall I'm a sentimental person and I think that gets me into trouble sometimes. I attach sentimentality where I shouldn't at times. My sentimentality has made me an enabler in the past, which isn't good. Feeling sentimental about something or someone can cloud judgment. It can also been endearing too. My grandmother talks about her past, sentimental insights from being a young girl during WWII, about being a poet, a dancer...the sentiments give her memories a glow that is warm and touching, they engage you and involve you in those times. In the right terms and in the right hands, sentimentality can be a beautiful thing more often than not.

Blogging Circle of Friends
DAY 1212: March 10, 2016
Prompt: this is March, now, spring has come! I love spring, things grow nicely after a winter's nap. Tell me a story about spring. Make it a love story, horror story, or even a science fiction story.... but make it a good one. remember the ides of March are coming.


Today doesn't feel like a day for fiction, so I've got this instead: Yesterday in our part of New England, we hit record temps in the high 70's. My daughter bounded from the car with unbridled enthusiasm at the prospect of playing outside before dinner. She shucked off her uniform and re-emerged in cotton play clothes, sans coat, and headed for the backyard. I watched her from the porch, moving about the yard, discovering the new signs of Spring all around her. This morning there were red breasted robins in the backyard, squawking about. The dog tore across the yard after them then pranced about with his nose up sniffing the fresh air.

No comments:

Post a Comment