About Me

My photo
A working professional and Mom,a want-to-be full time writer and modern day Alice in Wonderland who's always "A Little Mad Here"...

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Grammar Rules in Blogging and Sounds of Spring

Blogging Circle of Friends
Winter and summer are two seasons that have songs clearly associated with the time period. But are there any songs that remind you of spring? Share with us a song with a YouTube link in your blog.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qVPNONdF58

I had to think about this for a minute...Spring is one of the lesser acknowledged seasons lyrically I think. For me, Blind Melon's "No Rain" is one song that always makes me think of that season. It is most likely due to the references of rain and puddles, which I always associate with Spring. It may also be the images in the video of the band members playing on green, sunlight hillsides. And if you were alive in the 90's, who among us doesn't hear the riffs and think, "dancing bumblebee girl"? The whole thing is catchy and breezy. That would be my pick for Spring song.


"Blog City ~ Every Blogger's Paradise"
DAY 745 March 22, 2016
Prompt: Rabindranath Tagore said in Sadhana, “When we come to literature, we find that, though it conforms to the rules of grammar, it is yet a thing of joy; it is freedom itself.” How much do you think literature, with fiction or poetry, should stick to the rules of grammar? Or should it, at all?


This is a tough one. I tend to bend the rules of grammar a lot in my blogs and free writing but I really polish the heck out of anything I'm sending out to publish. I think when you are writing for an audience, you have to respect the rules of grammar as much as you can without losing your creativity and artistic edge. I would hate for a reader to miss something important about a piece because they are tripped up by bad grammar and mistakes. I don't write poetry but I imagine those rules must be more relaxed. Artists been the rules all the time with lyrics, which are basically a form of poetry, as a method for getting a song to work well. I think it ultimately it depends on what you are writing. I think literature demands a higher standard whereas poetry and blogs should be allowed some leeway in the interest of keeping it authentic. Blogging for me is a very raw, real time activity designed to keep my creativity flowing and I can't worry to much about being grammatically correct. I do spell check my entries though. I think writers should respect the words they work with and misspelling is an unnecessary but using extra commas (I do that A LOT) and mixing tense or using different syntax to convey emotions and otherwise taking grammatical liberties is just fine when blogging or free form writing. At least I feel that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment