About Me

My photo
A working professional and Mom,a want-to-be full time writer and modern day Alice in Wonderland who's always "A Little Mad Here"...

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

The Happy Crow


"Blogging Circle of Friends "
Day 1302: June 8, 2016: Prompt write a story or poem about The Happy Crow.


I had to google "Happy Crow" - because it seemed like an actual thing...what I found was a morality tale about a Crow and a Peacock.  Link to the story that inspired this retelling...http://www.moralstories.org/happy-peacock-crow/

So here is my version/retelling of this old fable...

Crow was perched high up in her tree, enjoying the sunshine on her glossy black feathers and feeling at peace. Crow was content. Her forest home was wide and welcoming. One day, she looked down to see a graceful swan moving across the still waters of a pond. Crow was transfixed by the soft downy white of her feathers, so different from her own. Crow thought, this fine Swan with her lovely snow white color must be the happiest bird in all the land. She flew down to ask him if he was.

Swan told Crow that he believed he had been the happiest bird in the world until he had met a Parrot. The Parrot had vivid feathers of blue and green that were stunning to behold. Swan knew then that Parrot, not Swan, must be the happiest bird in all the land.

Crow set off to find Parrot. Crow found Parrot soaring above the jungle canopy. Parrot was indeed beautiful. Crow thought, this surely must be the happiest bird. She asked the Parrot and he solemnly replied...

"I once believed I could not be happier, that I had all I could ever want with my beautiful multicolored frock. Then I met Peacock. I only have two colors and Peacock has so many more. Her Feathers are magnificent. I knew then that I could never be the happiest bird in all the land."

Crow set off to find Peacock. She had to travel far and wide until at least she found him in a tiny zoo in the center of a large city. Crow approached Peacock and said, "Peacock, I am in such awe of your beauty! Surely you, with your lovely feathers in all the colors of the rainbow, must be the happiest bird in all the land."

Peacock gazed at the Crow for a long time. He finally bent his beautiful long neck and the delicate crown of yellow gold feathers on his head caught the fading light. Crow thought that Peacock did not look happy. He looked quite sad. Then Peacock spoke, "Dear Crow, I once believed that I was the most beautiful and most happiest bird in all the land. My feathers rivaled all others but because of my beauty, I am trapped in this zoo. People come from all over to gaze at my feathers but I am not free to leave. There are many birds here, some are white like the Swan, some are multicolored like the Parrot. We are all colorful and we are all confined but you Crow, you are free. I think that must make you the happiest bird in all the land."

Crow looked at the Peacock, then up at the blue sky above, and knew he was right. Crow spread her glossy black wings, caught the currents and headed for home. THE END

                    
I think it is easy sometimes to lose sight of ourselves. In a world driven by the material trappings of success, it is hard not to look at around and see what others have and think, "if only that were me..."  I have often found myself imagining how my life could be better if I were thinner, more attractive, more wealthy, more successful in business. It is human nature to covet what we don't possess. It is hard to be content to be a Crow when there are so many Swans, Parrots and Peacocks out there. I have come to realize though, that people are not always what they seem - or what they project. Success and wealth are all relative. You can be very rich, and still be very lonely. You can be very beautiful but have an ugly heart. The test for each of us is to look at our lives and figure out how we measure our own relative success.. Maybe we might own a tiny home but we hold the mortgage, free and clear of any bank...Perhaps, we have a tedious job without glitz and glamour but we get to be home every weekend with our kids...Or maybe we live paycheck to paycheck but the bills are paid and we appreciate the little extras we afford ourselves...

Maybe we are just plain Crows, but we are free and we are happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment