About Me

My photo
A working professional and Mom,a want-to-be full time writer and modern day Alice in Wonderland who's always "A Little Mad Here"...

Monday, April 11, 2016

Leap of Faith or Let it Go...




Family. For the past two months the concept of family has preoccupied my thoughts and permeated my dreams.  I’ve had a dichotomy playing out in my heart as to whether or not to try to have another child, which at my ripe age, is likely more fantasy than reality. I’ve been agonizing over my daughter’s future and whether or not being an only child would be beneficial or just lonely later on. I’ve also been struggling pulling away from my family, to self-isolate, in an effort to preserve feelings – mine as well as theirs. I used to feel like an integral part of the system, one of the cogs in the machine that kept us all together. Now, I feel villainized.  But, is family so important that you let it fundamentally affect you? To influence the decisions of your life? To alter plans?  The complexity of my feelings these days are making me question everything about my life and about the people who have occupied the prominent places in my life like the features of the most familiar landscape. 

I try very hard to be authentic. I write as I breathe. I don’t use other people’s words or witty meme’s to express my own feelings and thoughts. I don’t enjoy gray areas of understanding and I reject the almost humanly desire to be passive aggressive whenever possible. Writing is how I process, how I reason and rationalize.  Writing is how I reflect and how I keep myself anchored.  I make mistakes. I am as flawed as the next person, weakened by my fears but also strengthen by battles hard fought. I am not always the person I want to believe I am. I am constantly learning about my vulnerabilities to being hurt and my capacity to forgive. Still, it is easy to take on someone else’s assessment of you and wear it for a while, like a cloak of shame or a robe of penance. I’ve had to tell myself, so often in the past weeks, that I am only responsible for my own feelings and perceptions.  The beliefs and experiences of my life are the only things I can every honestly take ownership of. That’s it. 

Contrary to what some may believe, I hate drama. Who wouldn’t want to live in a rose-colored world where everything is wonderful and everyone is the best version of themselves?  Who would want to intentionally seek out conflict, generate ill-will and discontent? There is enough of that filling television screens and Facebook statuses every day.  Life, however is messy. It is not vapid. It is not phony or idealized. It is colorful and chaotic. It is fluid. To truly live this life you sometimes have to get dirty. You have to step up, speak out. You sometimes have to engage the visceral truths and acknowledge the unpleasant. You have to seek answers to questions you hadn’t wanted to ask. You have to face the things that built you as well as the things that threaten to tear you down. You have to aspire, to dream, to fail, to disappoint, seek redemption and say, “fuck you” to your fiercest critics.  You also have to lose yourself from time to time, I think, so you can find another version of yourself…. a better, more Teflon-coated, “fuck-all” unapologetically real, version of yourself. Some days you just have to hope the people who love you the most will still love you the best no matter what and if not, you have to learn to let go.  Some days you have to consider walking away or take leap…

No comments:

Post a Comment